Wednesday 18 March 2015

Crucial Tis Pity Quotes


ALL HAIL VICTORIA, QUEEN OF THE QUOTES. Thank you for sending these in. The rest of you: write them down, learn them turn them into a poem, categorise them, read them backwards, turn them into memes... whatever, just learn them!

better 'tis to bless the sun than reason why it shines

Friar about reason


must I not do what all men else may, love?

Giovanni, justifying his love


that beauty which, if framed anew, the gods would make a god of

Giovanni's deification of Annabella's beauty


a customary form

Giovanni about the taboo


bound so much the more by nature

Giovanni about why he and his sister must love


thou art lost

Friar to Giovanni about his soul


death waits on thy lust

Friar to Giovanni about the sin of lust


heaven is just

Friar about heaven's judgement


my fate's my god

Giovanni about fate


have got mine honour with expense of blood

Grimaldi (honour and revenge society)


I would not for my wealth my daughter's love should cause the spilling of one drop of blood

Florio IRONICALLY about Annabella’s love


blessed shape of some celestial creature

Annabella about Giovanni’s body


my fates have doomed my death

Giovanni about fate and death


O that it were not in religion sin to make our love a god, and worship it

Giovanni about making their love an idol

 

thy immortal beauty hath untuned all harmony both of my rest and life

Giovanni (can't sleep, like PL)


you must either love, or I must die

Giovanni suicidal about love


love me, or kill me, sister

Giovanni - love or death


I made her almost burst her belly with laughing

Bergetto ironically about making Annabella laugh


love me, or kill me, brother

Annabella - love or death


no more sister now, but love, a name more gracious

Giovanni replacing sister with love


be proud to know that yielding thou hast conquered

Giovanni - losing = winning


stol'n contents

Annabella - they have taken something they shouldn’t have


my heart's delight prevailed

Annabella about delight


sucked divine ambrosia from her lips

Giovanni - sensual idea of lust, as with the fruit in PL


hold myself in being king of thee more great than were I king of all the world

Giovanni - king of the world


a paradise of joy

Annabella - like Eden?


thy sensual rage of blood hath made my youth a scorn to men and angels

Hippolita - destructiveness of Soranzo’s lust


false wanton

Hippolita about Soranzo’s lying ;) nature


nor think with supple words to smooth the grossness of my abuses

Hippolita - won’t let words win her over - but we do


you are too double in your dissimulation

Hippolita - duality of lies


Thy soul is drowned too deeply in thy sins

Hippolita - souls, sins, Soranzo


the vows I made, if you remember well, were wicked and unlawful: 'twere more sin to keep them than to break them

Soranzo - the morality of vows


learnt to repent and die, for by my honour I hate thee and thy lust: you have been too foul

Soranzo - damning anger at foul Hippolita


my vengeance shall give comfort to this woe

Hippolita


on this delicious bane my thoughts shall banquet

Hippolita and the banquet of revenge


revenge shall sweeten what my griefs have tasted

Hippolita on the sweet taste of revenge


Soranzo is the man that hath her heart

Richardetto - on owning Annabella’s heart


thou hast told a tale, whose every word threatens eternal slaughter to the soul

Friar on the slaughter of the soul


be thou resolved, thou art a man remarked to taste a mischief

Friar on the dangers of choosing sin


what I have done I'll prove both fit and good

Giovanni trying to prove his own righteousness


virtue itself is reason but refined, and love the quintessence of that

Giovanni virtue...reason...love


had you youth like mine, you'd make her love your heaven, and her divine

Giovanni - making love heaven and Annabella divine


th'art too far sold to hell, it lies not in the compass of my prayers to call thee back

Friar - Giovanni is beyond salvation (questionable)


a world of variety

Giovanni - Annabella is a bit like Cleopatra


for colour, lips

Giovanni on A’s lips


for sweet perfumes, her breath

Giovanni on A’s breath


for jewels, eyes

Giovanni on A’s eyes


for threads of purest gold, hair

Giovanni on A’s hair


for delicious choice of flowers, cheeks

Giovanni on A’s cheeks


Hear her but speak, and you will swear the spheres make music to the citizens in heaven.

Giovanni on A’s voice


a pair of souls are lost

Friar - two are damned


I can have wenches enough in Parma for half-a-crown apiece, cannot I, Poggio?

Bergetto on women as commodity


that you shall know anon, at better leisure. Welcome sweet night! The evening crowns the day.

Giovanni (in PL, the morning is that which is poetic - difference in light/dark activities)


in terms of love, where merit cannot sway, policy must

Grimaldi on merit vs cunning


if this hit, I'll laugh and hug revenge

Richardetto hugging revenge

 

 

you have unripped a soul so foul and guilty as I must tell you true, I marvel how the earth hath borne you up

Friar on Annabella’s foul soul and guilty sin


you are wretched, miserably wretched, almost condemned alive

Friar on Annabella’s wretchedness


there lies the wanton on racks of burning steel, whiles in his soul he feels the torment of his raging lust

Friar’s idea of the luster’s punishment in hell


then you will wish each kiss your brother gave had been a dagger's point

Friar ironically about her brother’s kisses


heaven is merciful, and offers grace even now

Friar on heaven’s mercy


spend not the time in tears, but seek for justice

Florio on uselessness of tears


the Cardinal is noble; he no doubt will give true justice

RIchardetto’s vain hope of church justice


is this a churchman's voice? dwells justice here?

Donado’s despair over church justice


justice is fled to heaven and comes no nearer

Florio on justice’s distance


when cardinals think murder's not amiss, great men may do their wills, we must obey; but heaven will judge them for't another day

Florio’s faith in final judgement


Ere I'd endure this sight, to see my love clipped by another, I would dare confusion, and stand the horror of ten thousand deaths

Giovanni would do anything to keep Annabella to himself


let rash report run on; the breath that vents it will, like a bubble, break itself at last

Hippolita on rumour

 

Mistress She-Devil, your own mischievous treachery hath killed you

Vasques on Hippolita’s treachery


now have fitted her a just payment in her own coin

Vasques on a taste of Hipolita’s own medicine


may thy bed of marriage be a rack unto thy heart, burn blood and boil in vengeance

Hippolita’s curse on Soranzo’s marriage bed


mayst thou live to father bastards, may her womb bring forth monsters, and die together in your sins, hated, scorned, and unpitied

Hippolita’s curse on Soranzo’s children


here's the end of lust and pride

Richardetto about Hippolita’s death


that marriage seldom's good, where the bride-banquet so begins in blood

Friar’s prediction about the bloody banquetted marriage


though vengeance hover, keeping aloof yet from Soranzo's fall, yet he will fall

Richardetto on Soranzo’s imminent fall


all human worldly courses are uneven; no life is blessed but the way to heaven

Richardetto on Philotis’ call to the convent


who dies a virgin lives a saint on earth

Richardetto on virgins on earth


Come, strumpet, famous whore

Soranzo’s insult of A #1


thy adulterous veins

Soranzo insults A’s veins


harlot, rare, notable, harlot

Soranzo thinks A is unusual in her lust


your loose cunning whoredom

Soranzo’s insult of A’s behaviour


your hot itch and pleurisy of lust

Soranzo on A’s lust


the heyday of your luxury

Soranzo thinks luxury is a sin


belly-sports

Soranzo’s ironic insult of A & G’s relationship


thy corrupted bastard-bearing womb

Soranzo’s insult of A’s womb


whore of whores

Soranzo on Annabella (__ of __s)


excellent quean

Soranzo calls A an e____ q___ (whore)


the man, the more than man

Annabella’s view of Giovanni’s manliness


this noble creature was in every part so angel-like, so glorious, that a woman who had not been but human, as was I, would have kneeled to him, and begged for love

Annabella thinks no woman could have resisted Giovanni


you are not worthy once to name his name without true worship, or, indeed, unless you kneeled, to hear another name him

Annabella thinks Giovanni is a god


I'll rip up thy heart, and find it there

Soranzo’s ironic threat to find Giovanni’s name


I'll hew thy flesh to shreds

Soranzo’s ironic threat to tear A to pieces


thy lust-be-lepered body

Soranzo’s insult of Annabella’s lustful body


I leave revenge behind, and thou shalt feel't

Annabella knows revenge will come


I will not slack my vengeance

Soranzo’s vow for revenge

 

such a damned whore deserves no pity

Soranzo thinks Annabella doesn’t deserve pity


Sir, you must be ruled by your reason and not by your fury; that were unhuman and beastly

Vasques thinks reason is human, and fury is beastly


I prize my life as nothing

Annabella, mimicking Acts 20:24 - blasphemous


tis as manlike to bear extremities as godlike to forgive

Vasques shows that they are not godlike who don’t forgive


in this piece of flesh, this faithless face of hers, had I laid up the treasure of my heart

Soranzo had his treasure where his heart was


in the shame of thy lewd womb even buried me alive

Soranzo feels buried alive in A’s shame


I did too dearly love you

Soranzo regrets his love of A


the part I loved, which was thy heart

Soranzo thinks he loved A for her personality


a husband; in that name is hid divinity

Soranzo’s verdict on husbands


tis as common to err in frailty as to be a woman

Soranzo thinks women are weak


I carry hell about me; all my blood is fired in swift revenge

Soranzo experiences a living hell


damnable hag

Vasques about Putana as a hag


you toad-bellied bitch

Vasques about Putana as a bitch


to what a height of liberty in damnation hath the devil trained our age

Vasques condemns the age


I must… tutor him better in his points of vengeance

Vasques wants to teach Soranzo about revenge


O, my soul runs circular in sorrow for revenge

Soranzo’s soul is confused in its desire for revenge


he is sold to death, and the devil shall not ransom him

Vasques thinks Giovanni is beyond salvation


a wretched, woeful woman's tragedy

Annabella description of her life


My conscience now stands up against my lust with depositions charactered in guilt

Annabella about her guilt


My conscience... tells me I am lost

Annabella’s feeling of being lost


they who sleep in lethargies of lust hug their confusion, making heaven unjust, and so did I

Annabella about the effects of lust


here I sadly vow repentance, and a leaving of that life I long have died in

Annabella repenting


to laugh at your horns, to feast on your disgrace, riot in your vexations, cuckold you in your bride-bed

Vasques about Annabella’s scorn of Soranzo


revenge is all the ambition I aspire: to that I'll climb or fall; my blood's on fire

Soranzo on his desire for revenge


O the glory of two united hearts like hers and mine

Giovanni on the glory of ‘love’


my world, and all of happiness, is here, and I'd not change it for the best to come: a life of pleasure is Elysium

Giovanni would not exchange anything for his life and pleasure

 

stood Death threatening his armies of confounding plagues, with hosts of dangers hot as blazing stars, I would be there

Giovanni thinks he is invincible


resolve to strike as deep in slaughter as they all

Giovanni wants destruction


the wildness of thy fate draws to an end, to a bad fearful end

Friar condemns Giovanni to fate


since no prayer can make thee safe, I leave thee to despair

Friar gives up on trying to save Giovanni


despair, tortures of a thousand hells, all's one to me

Giovanni doesn’t care about pain


If I must totter like a well-grown oak, some under-shrubs shall in my weighty fall be crushed to splits: with me they all shall perish


Giovanni wants to bring others down with him - simile


what you do is noble, and an act of brave revenge

Soranzo to banditti about the nobility of revenge


arm your courage in your own wrongs

Vasques stirring up Soranzo’s anger


young incest-monger

Vasques’ name for Giovanni


he may post to hell in the very act of his damnation

Vasques wants Giovanni to go straight to hell


let him go and glut himself in his own destruction

Vasques wants Giovanni to cause his own destruction


hath your new sprightly lord found out a trick in night games more than we could know in our simplicity?

Giovanni’s jealousy of Soranzo


I hold fate clasped in my fist

Giovanni thinks he controls fate

 

could command the course of time's eternal motion

Giovanni thinks he controls time


this banquet is an harbinger of death to you and me

Annabella warns that the banquet signals death


death, and a swift repining wrath

Giovanni about his face


these are the funeral tears shed on your grave

Giovanni is clearly sad to kill A


the tribute which my heart hath paid to Annabella's sacred love hath been these tears, which are her mourners now

Giovanni’s heart lauds A with tears, and mourns her with tears


go thou, white in thy soul, to fill a throne of innocence and sanctity in Heaven

Giovanni wants Annabella to die in a state of grace


the laws of conscience and civil use may justly blame us, yet when they but know our loves, that love will wipe away that rigour which would in other incests be abhorred

Giovanni thinks their love acquits their sin


forgive me - Giovanni /\ with my heart - Annabella

A’s ironic whole-hearted forgiveness


to save thy fame, and kill thee in a kiss

Giovanni wants to keep A from gossip


revenge is mine; honour doth love command

Giovanni rejoices after killing A


for to dispute with thy most lovely beauty, would make me stagger to perform this act, which I most glory in

Giovanni can’t argue with A


Soranzo, thou hast missed thy aim in this; I have prevented now thy reaching plots

Giovanni has trumped Soranzo

 

killed a love, for whose each drop of blood I would have pawned my heart

Giovanni has killed A who he loved so much


How over-glorious art thou in thy wounds, triumphing over infamy and hate

Giovanni thinks A is glorious in death - blasphemy in hint at Christ’s wounds


stand up, my heart, and boldly act my last and greater part

Giovanni gets ready to commit next act of revenge


hath your new sprightly lord found out a trick in night games more than we could know in our simplicity?

Giovanni’s jealousy of Soranzo


I hold fate clasped in my fist

Giovanni thinks he controls fate


could command the course of time's eternal motion

Giovanni thinks he controls time


this banquet is an harbinger of death to you and me

Annabella warns that the banquet signals death


death, and a swift repining wrath

Giovanni about his face


these are the funeral tears shed on your grave

Giovanni is clearly sad to kill A


the tribute which my heart hath paid to Annabella's sacred love hath been these tears, which are her mourners now

Giovanni’s heart lauds A with tears, and mourns her with tears


go thou, white in thy soul, to fill a throne of innocence and sanctity in Heaven

Giovanni wants Annabella to die in a state of grace


the laws of conscience and civil use may justly blame us, yet when they but know our loves, that love will wipe away that rigour which would in other incests be abhorred

Giovanni thinks their love acquits their sin


forgive me - Giovanni /\ with my heart - Annabella

A’s ironic whole-hearted forgiveness


to save thy fame, and kill thee in a kiss

Giovanni wants to keep A from gossip


revenge is mine; honour doth love command

Giovanni rejoices after killing A


for to dispute with thy most lovely beauty, would make me stagger to perform this act, which I most glory in

Giovanni can’t argue with A


Soranzo, thou hast missed thy aim in this; I have prevented now thy reaching plots

Giovanni has trumped Soranzo


killed a love, for whose each drop of blood I would have pawned my heart

Giovanni has killed A who he loved so much


How over-glorious art thou in thy wounds, triumphing over infamy and hate

Giovanni thinks A is glorious in death - blasphemy in hint at Christ’s wounds


stand up, my heart, and boldly act my last and greater part

Giovanni gets ready to commit next act of revenge

 

No comments:

Post a Comment