Wednesday 29 April 2015

Literary devices in Frankenstein (AO2)

For top AO2 marks you must get technical. Sometimes this is simple - referring to anaphora and adjectives and triples and the basics of English.


Other terms might need revising, so here:


https://quizlet.com/11287974/frankenstein-literary-terms-flash-cards/


Also:


Remember those rhetorical devices used by Churchill? You used them to write a speech to the Proles. The monster also uses a lot of them, for example:


"I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend." = antithesis.


So one useful piece of revision would be to look at the monster's speeches, and label them with those rhetorical terms.


But sir, how do I use technical terms in an essay? asked one A2 student yesterday.


Well, what you DON'T do is this:


"I was benevolent and good; mistery made me a fiend." This is an example of antithesis.


What you DO do is this:


The antithetical statement "I was benevolent and good; mistery made me a fiend" highlights Shelley's Godwinian belief that even good people could be reduced to crime given the wrong circumstances.


In short, use the term briefly to make a more important point; don't draw attention to the term, just drop it into your analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment